There are plane tickets to buy, and a pickup
truck with a topper, and new climbing equipment. How much will you have saved
by the time you get back to Colorado? What about insurance, and taxes, and
nights out? Get a job and it’ll be okay. Then you can afford car payments and
rent, and student loans and micro-brews and fine salamis and cheeses. A job will
sort you out. Then how fat you can grow. How comfortable you can get. If you’re
lucky enough, you’ll pay all your worries away and you can be bored. Just work
and never stop working and you’ll be just fine stupid.
That would be a good way to go back to America.
Good American culture, right? Debt and food and a shiny four wheel drive pickup.
Yeehaw Amurica! Here I come!
Or I could not work. Technically I have a
job. It just doesn’t start until July. That gives me three months to do what I
need to do. And there’s really only one thing that I’ll need to do—figure out
why I left Japan.
That still won’t be enough time though. Who
am I kidding. There’s too much. There’s tatami
mats and shouji screen walls. There’s
the countryside life of salutations from smiling children and scowls and stares
from old men. There’s the kerosene heater in my living room in the winter, the
sweltering loft in the summer, and the open windows and cool breezes in the
seasons in between. There’s the feeling of leaving my friends who I speak
Japanese with and who I understand like reading in the dark with a strobe light
on. There are ramen shops, and sushi, and grilled clams on the half shell in Matsushima. There are long drives with
climbing partners through country I’ve never seen. There are kindergarten and
elementary school kids that think whatever I do is superhuman. Sugoiiiiiiii! they yell. Joshua-sensei jozu da ne…
There’s also Eriko—a woman who I love, and
that knows me and loves me enough to say, “Go ahead. Go where you need to. It’s
okay.” That's the kind of woman that is impossible to leave. With a broken heart and the guilt of breaking another I will be sitting
in a big apartment with a shiny pickup outside and I’ll be drinking a six
dollar bottle of microbrew. Yeehaw.
There’s therapy for that kind of thing,
son. Get into God’s country and you’ll be sorted out.
The American desert cleanses. Look at the
white bone of a cow carcass if you need an example. That’s what it’ll do. You’ll
spend weeks there and the earth will drink in your tears and pour unforgiving
sun on your depression. On soaring desert towers and thousand foot sandstone
walls you’ll remember that you are he who climbs, who struggles and bleeds and
sweats. Your struggle will become something physical, and therefore manageable.
Get stronger and smarter and you’ll be able to climb what you thought was
impossible. You’ll either end up better for it, or you’ll be beat by it. Both
are good for you. And you will have dirtied and banged up the truck, and the beers
will have run out and all you’ll have is a tent to go back to at night. And you’ll
sit by the campfire with good friends, under an open sky with living and dying
stars. And that’ll get you through.
2 comments:
You put down "good stuff", Josh.
I wonder what really is going on in Emily's head, because she stopped blogging after she left Mozambique. I suspect, but do not know first hand, that there's a lot to process for her, and for you.
At any rate she's headed back to Africa: Rwanda or Kenya. Maybe we already told you this...
We'll be glad to have you around - for as long, or briefly, as that may turn out to be! Paul
Oops, how'd "Dad" get on there?!? Must be a carry-over from Emily's blog.
My apolgies, to you, and Bob.
Post a Comment