Gyeltshen has had a cough for more than a month. It
isn’t a slight, innocuous cough. It’s a cough that gurgles and stings. He wraps
a scarf around his throat despite the summer heat and I have found him more
than once keeled over on the stump in our yard, hacking and spitting up phlegm.
One day there was a call at my door and his wife,
Sangay, told me that she wanted to take him to the Basic Health Unit—the BHU—in
town. The nearest hospital, a simple one, is an hour away. For specialists you
have to travel to Mongar, five hours if the roads are clear, which they aren’t
now because of road construction and the havoc of the rainy season. Sangay
doesn’t drive so she enlisted me to take the wheel of their beat-up, Indian
hatchback. Gyeltshen was worse than I thought. He needed students to help him
walk up the path toward the car. When he reclined across the backseat he hacked
and winced in pain. All the windows were rolled up and it was humid and rank. I
rolled mine down, edged toward the fresh air and started the car up the bad
dirt road.
The BHU is a small building. In the hallways there are
posters with infographics on the symptoms for leprosy and malaria. There is a
box filled with condoms that says above it, “Prevent HIV.” There is a room that
holds twelve beds all together. When we came in, the room had peeling paint and
mold stains in the corners. There was a buzz from the fluorescent bulbs, though
a few of them were burnt out, making no noise at all. Flies wended about
lugubriously, as if they too had come down with something.
We brought Gyeltshen in and laid him among the
others whose maladies one could only guess at. A mother held a small baby. The
nurse’s assistant tried to put a tiny oxygen mask on the infant and it
protested and cried. A monk with boils on his hands sat at the foot of one of
the other beds. He wasn’t a patient, I don’t think, but was visiting another
woman who lay on the same bed. An older woman with a long, regal neck, high cheekbones
and slightly sunken eyes, sat cross legged and erect on her bed, a blanket
covering her legs. She stared off into the distance, seemingly at nothing.
Gyeltshen continued to cough and lay down in the fetal
position on the bed. Sangay covered him with a blanket. The nurse, our
principal’s wife, came out in her matriarch way, strong armed and confident,
smiling. She asked him some questions: When did the symptoms start? Has he had a tuberculosis test? (He hadn’t.) She jotted down notes.
We were at the BHU all afternoon and into the evening.
I took a walk and Sangay stayed with Gyeltshen while he received an IV of some
sort. In the evening I brought them home.
Two days later Gyeltshen was still coughing. I asked
if he had been given any medicine and he said yes. He said he also went to the
Lama who blessed him and told him that his house was cursed; Gyeltshen hadn’t
performed rituals in the house, nor had the previous warden, so there were
spirits that were making him sick.
I started coughing a day later. It came first as a
slight tinge in my throat and then it built to a pain that spread and pulsed in
my head and down through my chest. In the middle of the school day I broke into
a fever and had to go home. Apropos to the name, I returned to the Boy’s Sick
Room, lay down on my bed, put my down sleeping bag over me and sweat and ached
through the night.
The thrill of living in a remote place comes to an
abrupt standstill when you get sick. Suddenly your mind starts to imagine the
worst. What if the fever doesn’t stop and I have to get to Mongar? What if it
is TB and I’m put in quarantine for a month? What if I have to be evacuated to
India? It is, and isn’t, unfounded hypochondria; the illnesses that exist here
are very real, as is the potential to get one. A Canadian teacher died here a
few years ago from prolonged sickness—septicemia. They couldn’t get her to a
hospital in time. Her post was not so far from where I am now.
I started thinking about what was making me sick, as
if the source would somehow reveal the severity. Gyeltshen’s sickness was first
to blame, but perhaps not the only reason. The Boy’s Sick Room might not just
be a place of reprieve from illness—it may be the cause. I don’t have a refrigerator
and often eat leftovers that have been sitting out all day. My squat toilet is
right next to the main room and a rank air wafts in constantly, especially in
the heat; maybe the miasma carries some disease. Or maybe it’s something
outside of the Sick Room. Every day, in almost every classroom, a student is
absent because of a flu, a cold, fever, body aches, boils, dizziness, or
nausea. Others cough and put their heads down on their desks during class,
while we’re all crammed in there, sometimes forty-eight of us in a room whose
max capacity is probably forty-five.
Then I start thinking of how nice it’ll be when I have
a job in a city again. That’s what sickness does—it makes me want to run away
from the place I worked so hard to get to, a place whose very appeal came from
how remote it was. I dream of Barcelona, or Tangier, or Muscat. Then there will
be many hospitals to go to, with state-of-the-art medical instruments and no
flies. They can serve up any drug that I need and the doctors will be well
trained. One short taxi ride and I’ll be cared for and comfortable.
The illusion offers some catharsis. But such thoughts
are weighted with regret. There is a gross privilege in fantasizing like that—Gyeltshen
doesn’t get to think about escape, nor do my students. A life here, for many,
is one were sicknesses can be severe and sometimes inescapable. In those cases, there comes an
inevitable end.
Yesterday I learned that one of my students’ father
died of illness over the weekend. The same student’s mother passed away when he
was much younger. This story, of one parent or both dying early in their
lifetimes, is common enough out here, another reality of living in a remote
area. The people seem to weather such news with fortitude, a combination of
both their habituation to it and their Buddhist beliefs. I have had to think of
death here more than ever before, as a delusion rising from my sickness, with
news that my grandfather passed away, and now with empty desks in my classroom
as students return to their homes to perform funeral rites. It’s a meditation
that I didn’t anticipate.
Each time that I move abroad I expect that great
learning that will happen. In a remote Buddhist country like Bhutan, one can’t
help but think that he will be affected spiritually, learning about oneness,
compassion, mindfulness. But more often than not the most profound lessons
sneak up on you. They come not when you relish a good lesson, nor when your
mind is open and attentive, rather, when you’re afraid, or weak, or sick.
It turns out that this week’s lesson is a Buddhist one: Impermanence. You
don’t worry about a candle blowing out until the wind picks up. With an
imagined threat of death at my door, the lesson is one I’m paying attention to.
Both Gyeltshen and I are getting better now; it looks like this sickness won’t
be the one to end it all. But I am reminded of the certainty that, at some point, terminal illness will come, or an accident of some sort, and that, for this
life as Joshua Cook at least, that’ll be it. If I’m lucky, it will come in old
age and I will have been graced with longevity, spent on good adventures and with
good people. Or the final curtain call may come soon after the next sore throat
begins, or raspy cough. What I am doing now—and that I do it attentively and
with appreciation—seems more important than ever.
5 comments:
I have my fingers crossed you are granted a long life filled with many adventures and more good people than you even imagine! Glad to know you feel better...whew.
—yes, "whew" indeed.
Good reflection, and photos.
It seems to me that the deepest insights for our lives come not via our heads, what profound thoughts we have about life and death and what takes place in between, but through our gut, or our heart, as they may be variously interpreted. In other words, through our feelings, what impacts us emotionally. It seems you are gaining wisdom here as your reflection upon illness leading potentially to death was not an intellectual exercise, but was brought about from urgent need-to-know. Like someone in the midst of drowning, a question of "air" does not have patience for discussion, but require a certain remedy and response now, and the motivation is there to discover that answer. For aspects of life that endure endless speculation, real truth remains elusive.
I like the positive spin that you are able to take from this experience and leave behind sickness with a greater appreciation for life and opportunities to be in the present. We just had a TB scare at my school recently so I can understand the feeling of panic that sets in when living abroad. I am lucky that I have unlimited access to taxis, clinics, hospitals, doctors and drugs. However, one can argue that this access doesn't guarantee peace of mind. For me it comes along with the baggage of lost in translation misdiagnoses. Fingers crossed to health. That's the simplest solution.
I was telling my husband about your journey (I mentioned the dog) then we looked at several photos you posted and pulled a map to see where exactly you're located.
Glad to see you're doing better now. :) sending well wishes from Oklahoma City!!!
Thanks for the comments and, as always, thanks for reading!
Post a Comment