As I looked on at the Indian roads ahead of me, I kept
strategizing how to get through the melee, knowing still that all the mental
preparation I could muster wouldn’t do a damn thing. I had to just take off and
get into it, figure it out while being consumed by it. There was no other
option.
I did reach out to Adam before heading to India,
hoping that he had better copies of the documents or, failing that, some other
advice. I got the latter. He told me, “If a cop is on foot trying to get you to
stop, then just dodge them and keep going. Ignore them.”
I was about to cross the border with these
confidence-inspiring resources as my only defense. Would they even let me in?
Or let the bike in?
After you exit the Bhutan border, you head straight
into the frenetic Jaigon streets. I’ve had no instance of culture shock as
jarring as that cross into India. I remember getting out of a taxi in the
middle of Hanoi and feeling a similar shock, but Hanoi was cleaner. I remember
my very first time traveling alone abroad and having to navigate the streets of
San Jose, Costa Rica. But San Jose didn’t smell as bad. No, Jaigon was
something else entirely.
The Jaigon roads are the most irrefutable evidence
that the nature of the universe is toward entropy. Centuries ago, a Silk Road
bazaar must have collapsed into itself on a nefarious transaction, swallowed
its vendors, their customers, and its lineage through time (the spices, vibrant
textiles and jungle fruits then, along with modern plastic refuse, rusted sheet
metal, chip wrappers, clouds of exhaust, and fecal matter). All of it was then churned
together and returned back to present day, not as a celestial Big Bang, but as
a vomiting, in long, erect lines.
The separated castes seemed to be indifferent to this
time warp. They went about business as usual. Incredible beauties in saris
drifted through the turmoil like vibrant and contented Siamese fish. The downtrodden
and destitute sat amidst the fumes with hands out and looks of prolific
suffering indelibly drawn onto their faces, looks that revealed a mental
suffocation, a shackle connected to a weight immovable. There were Bhutanese
woven into the crowds, some in ghos
and kiras, others in leather jackets,
punks, and uppity rich kids, drug addicts and businessmen. The cacophony of all
kinds of labor set the background and pace: the staccato banging of a rickshaw
driver repairing a broken chain, the shouts of a cabbage vendor, the strident honking
honking honking of anyone and everyone in their own automobile.
It was a labyrinth that I couldn’t make heads or tails
of. I didn’t even know how to begin. So I pointed straight and tried to weave
myself into the fray.
As a child, my parents took me whitewater rafting when
I was technically too young to go. My father, an accomplished river canoer,
convinced the rafting company that I had been down many rivers and would be
fine. They set me in the very front of the raft and told me to hold on tight.
When we made the first descent into the angry rapids, I grabbed at the raft
white knuckled, bit into my PFD and remained that way, shivering, for the
entire trip.
When I edged into Jaigon traffic, the experience was much
the same as that rafting trip. Now the boiling rapids came as the tumult of
rickshaws and motorbikes. The cargo trucks and cars were like boulders stuck in
the madness but occasionally unleashed to wreak havoc. And there I was, getting
pushed forward in the chaos such that all I could do was clench my teeth and
hold on tight.
Amazingly there did seem to be some method to the
madness. Though we moved in a swarm, as long as I kept sharp, no harm would
come to me. Everyone seemed to be on high alert. I’d have to brake, accelerate,
brake, put a foot down, pass a truck, ignore the oncoming cars, accelerate,
swerve, all in a minute, still surrounded by everyone and everything. The
motorcyclists around me were all good drivers, much better than me. If I made a
bad swerve, they quickly adjusted around me, sounding their horns, not as an
attack, just as a constant habit, an “I’m right here,” as natural to them as
checking their rearview mirrors. Since they were all keenly aware of how to
move in the traffic, it made it easier for me to go along with the momentum. After
leaving Jaigon and encountering many more small towns with the same kind of
traffic, I felt like I was getting the hang of it.
I hit a signpost after my first hour in India. It was
a temporary police gate set up to “control” the flow of traffic. It dragged
against the ground loudly when I clipped it, rousing the Indian cop from his
lackadaisical attention to his phone and prompting him to stand up and yell
something at me.
Remembering Adam’s advice, I pulled back the throttle and
pushed on. The bike wasn’t damaged; my side satchel took the brunt of the hit.
Later I would find that my camp pot had a dent in it the size of tea saucer.
Eventually, the traffic did abate, though there were
always people everywhere. The presence of oncoming trucks, random potholes and
meandering cows also kept me wary. The world was flat now and the roads
straight and it was easier to take in the sights of this new country. In the
quieter moments (which became a relative term), I found myself among endless
tea plantations, estates established during British rule. That quintessential
Indian haze, a mixture of kicked-up dust and pollution, filtered the early-afternoon
light onto women in saris attending to the plants, and onto men on bicycles
riding down the side of the highway. There was something pleasant about it,
something beneficent.
To return to the basis of this whole adventure for a
second: I have no idea what I’m doing. Once in India, this became apparent in
two ways. First, I did not have a map. In Bhutan, I never needed one because
there is literally one highway. Once you’re on it, that’s it. Go east or go
west. But in India I suddenly passed intersections and junctions and all I had
was a poorly loaded screenshot of West Bengal. To make things worse, in the
ramshackle development and utter disarray of the West Bengali travel
infrastructure, road signs were almost nonexistent.
I got lost. A few times. I would turn on a whim, going
on a sense of direction calibrated from absolutely nothing. Then I would end up
heading back the way I came and I knew that was the only direction I didn’t
want to be going.
It was easier to tolerate this improvidence because I
didn’t really need to be anywhere in particular. I had told Dan that I could
probably meet him that night in Sikkim for New Year’s Eve. But if I missed it,
it wouldn’t matter much. The situation also forced me to do something that I had
been afraid to do all morning. I had to interact with the people.
This hesitance to interact with people seems
counter-intuitive. It is not what one expects as the world traveler’s modus
operandi. It’s a truth that I don’t want to admit, but one that is important.
I’m often afraid once I get to a new place. If I have yet to make friends with
the people, yet to teach students from the culture, yet to eat the food and
learn some small bits of the language, I feel like I’ll be taken advantage of,
or that I’ll be threatened. It is a feeling that has proven time and time again
to be unsubstantiated and ignorant. From Peru to Tibet, Bhutan to Tierra del
Fuego, I have rarely felt threatened. Most the time, people are more kind in
other parts of the world than where I come from. The road to Sikkim was no
different.
The first time I stopped was at a gas station where
the attendant not only gave me directions but, despite limited English
proficiency, zealously asked me where I was from and about my trip. He wished
me a good journey and pointed fervently in the direction he had just told me to
go. He was still pointing when I was well established on that road and turned
to wave goodbye. The next person I met was along the side of the road, at a
small stand selling puri for lunch. I
stopped and ate there and though the man who served me seemed to not speak any
English at all, we communicated through gestures. I’d pat my belly to show my
satisfaction with his puri. In
response, he’d smile and give me a thumbs up. We did this a few times
throughout the meal. When I asked, “Gangtok?” he also gestured, pointing to
continue down the road I was already on.
Eventually, with the help of men like those along the
way, I found the right road that would take me into the capital of Sikkim. It
was a road that once again rose steeply into the mountains, with grades much
the same steepness as San Francisco’s streets.
It was on that road that I realized the second error
that again proved how much of an amateur I was: I had never stopped at
immigration in India in order to get an entry stamp on my visa. I was now hours
from Jaigon and going back would not only mean I would miss New Year’s in
Gangtok, but I’d have to brave the madness of those roads again, something I
couldn’t bring myself to do.
“All well,” I thought. “I’m sure it will work out
somehow.”
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your adventure! I seriously can't imagine driving through that traffic - just wow!!!
Post a Comment