Manali
to Chattru
There was never any clear information on our side of
the pass.
“I heard you won’t be able to get to Leh until July.”
“Huh. I heard that the passes will open next week.”
“Oh no. The passes are open now, but tourists aren’t
allowed to cross.”
“Well, foreigners can’t cross without inner line permits
anyway. And they’ll be checking your bike registration at Rhotang pass.
Probably at the Kashmir border too.”
The confusion was enough to tempt me to end my trip
there, stay in Himachal Pradesh and keep climbing for the month. It was too
much of a headache to try and sort out when and if I could make it to Leh, the planned end of this whole little
adventure. I was comfortable in Himachal. It was easy. Why go through the
bother of traveling into another unknown?
Because
Leh is the goal.
The adventurer’s mind is stubborn. There was a picture
of my route on my computer that I referred to along the way and there was no
denying that I had not hit the final destination. There was also no denying
that it was close now. I couldn’t quit. Going against good sense and hearsay
was, after all, the theme of the trip.
Once again I went through the routine of lashing my
pack to the back of Solivagant, strapping my side-satchel just below, and
starting off into a new challenge. Hopefully, the final challenge.
Rhotang pass, just outside of Manali, was the first
obstacle. The pass itself was nothing too formidable. I had ridden over passes
just as high in Bhutan. But in the height of tourist season, there would be a
line of traffic backed up for miles. It was also unsure if I could pass through
the checkpoint. My dubious documentation for the bike still had never been
checked and, if the rumors were true, this was where it might finally be found
out that I was traveling by somewhat illegal means.
I encountered the back of the traffic jam maybe three miles
from the checkpoint. In such cases, I praise the lax Indian traffic rules.
Though the taxis and busses and private cars have to wait in an orderly line,
motorcycles do not. With very little traffic coming from the opposite
direction, I could use the open lane to pass everyone: Delhiites honking
incessantly (and ineffectively) in their expensive cars, European tourists
standing helplessly outside of busses, locals eating a packed-lunch near their
hired taxis. Every time I have come across traffic like this and am able to
pass, I feel a tinge of guilt ... but mostly an overwhelming relief. A wait
that should have taken hours, was over in about five minutes.
At the checkpoint, I pulled out a permit that I applied
for online and prayed that they wouldn’t ask for my license or registration. I
approached with an air of affability, hoping that any conflict that might arise
could be subverted with good humor and a smile.
“Country?” the officer asked.
“USA,” I said.
“Ah. Trump.”
“Yeah. Bad president.”
He laughed, barely looked at my permit, and gave it to
his assistant to stamp.
“Have a good trip.”
And with the same ease that I passed the traffic, I
had gotten through the checkpoint.
At the top of Rhotang pass my confidence in the
success of the journey was boosted even more. I met a group of bikers on Royal
Enfields that were carrying heavy packs and extra fuel.
“Are you guys headed to Leh?” I asked.
“Yes!” they cheered.
“So the passes are all open?”
“Yes!”
They took a few selfies with me in the background and
then revved their engines and charged on. I would have accompanied them, but I
was not headed straight to Leh. There was one more climbing area that I wanted
to check out that would take me a little out of the way.
Obstacle two: the road to Chattru.
Situated at the end of the rugged and craggy Spiti
Valley, Chattru is an alpine climbing area that is reached by taking seventeen
kilometers of bad dirt road to a collection of roadside dhabas in the middle of a veritable paradise.
Any kind of paradise takes effort to get to. Now I was
again on a quintessential Himalayan road. Aside from the abundance of loose stones
and erratic breaks and bumps, there were frequent creek crossings that submerged
me up to the boots. Half-a-dozen times I picked a line through the raging
waters, wished for the best, and gunned through, bouncing atop rounded river
rocks and hoping that I wouldn’t be sent down the steep side.
Traffic was also terrible. There were no other
vehicles around, no taxis or private cars like on Rhotang. But there were
enough goats and sheep covering large swaths of road that I had to come to a stop
and move through the bleating hoards at a snail’s pace. The shepherds
accompanying the flocks, weathered and timeless men in flat, round hats,
noticed me briefly. As I would inch by, they’d look up and we’d make
eye-contact that felt like it connected us across centuries as much as
cultures; they on a daily routine that has existed as long as people had in
Spiti Valley, me, aberrantly revving an engine on a clunky motorcycle. Each of
us wondered, perhaps, what a lifetime would be like in the other person’s
shoes.
Once the “traffic” cleared and the road abated its
relentless gauntlet of obstacles, there was that moment that I have found so
rarely on the trip: a moment of peace. On these mountain roads, I’m often so
worried that I will get a flat or damage the bike or get lost, that I have few instances
where I am relaxed and can appreciate where I am. In Chattru, the road
flattened out and now, so long into this journey, I knew that Solivagant was
fine and wouldn’t have problems. There was one road, so I would not get lost.
All there was to do was to move effortlessly along the soft dirt and watch as
Solivagant propelled me into an alpine valley so beautiful that I couldn’t help
but laugh aloud.
Alright,
Solivagant. Now we’re doing it. This is what it’s supposed to be like.
Waterfalls dove out of the cliffs surrounding us, the
sky was cerulean, the grassy meadows emerald. It was a scene pulled straight
from my dreams about what it would be like to take a motorcycle along Himalayan
roads.
Chattru
to Leh
I spent four days in Chattru. I climbed more boulders
with friends, ate cheap and delicious meals at one of the few dhabas there, and slept out under the
stars and the bright, waxing moon. Though it was paradisiacal, again I had to
move on. Such was the state of things for the last six months: move on, move
on, move on. When the climbing is good and I’ve made good friends, I move on.
When beautiful young women from the villages wave and smile, still I move on.
When I find a piece of heaven on Earth, again I move on.
I was tired of moving, but what lie ahead was that
goal that I had promised myself. Leh may not have friends as kind as those I
left in Bhutan; the landscape may not stun like the views from the Khumbu
region’s Kala Patthar; the rock climbing will definitely not be as good as
Sethan; and there will be no hope of meeting a woman from the village and
settling down in some idyllic Himalayan villa with her. But I knew I had to
head there nonetheless—because I had intended to from the outset. It was a promise
I had to keep.
Though all the above results were true, it was still
worth it to move on. The ride from Chattru to Leh was truly spectacular.
There are scenes from that ride that still resonate to
my core: The winding fresh asphalt—so smooth—that took me through the green
alpine country around Keylong. There, massive rocky peaks were capped with
glaciers and waterfalls came careening down, the noise echoing a wet static
throughout the valley. Then came the rise into the arid lands, the limits of
the western side of the Tibetan plateau, into Kashmir and the former kingdom of
Ladakh. The terrain was moonlike. Hoodoos rose out of scree fields and the
evening light painted them as watchful sentinels of the remote and quiet river below.
On my third day on the route, I started in the morning
sun on a high and grassy plateau amid rounded and snowcapped peaks. From the
cleavage between two foothills, a pair of wild asses came charging out at full
speed, kicking up dust in their wake that the sun glistened off of. They ran
with such power that I thought I felt the earth tremble below me. That same day
I passed a group of Tibetan nomads out with their sheep. Their beaten old tent
was behind them, as weathered as they were. There was no mistaking that they
were a part of that inhospitable land as much as the sheep that trotted through
seeking any scrap of saxifrage they could feed on. The frigid Himalayan winds
pushed against the sheepherders’ tattered garments and they leaned into the
wind, their ruddy cheeks chapped and ashen. People
still live like this, I reminded myself as I stopped to watch and feel (as
best as I could) their lives. Thank God
that people still live like this.
At night I camped out at 15,000 feet. The wind howled
and for the first time I used my emergency tarp to build a wall against it. I
wrapped the tarp around the bike and set the loose ends onto the ground with heavy
stones. The plastic fluttered loudly and unremittingly but it was enough to
create a pocket of refuge on that open plain. I was rewarded with vistas of the
great river below and the forgotten peaks in the distance and the vast lands
stretching east. They were lands that were mostly empty and open. Pockets of
various groups of Buddhists lived through the entirety of the range, from
Bhutan to where I found myself then, and I had gotten to know many of them on
this trip, from Drukpa to Gurung to Sherpa to Ladakhi.
That night the stars came out in an infinity that was
staggering. I sat back in my sleeping bag, in the open air, and watched their
silent and resplendent symphony until I fell asleep.
As I approached Leh on the final day of my drive, I
thought about the Buddhist pilgrims that had come along the same paths for
centuries. They were easy to imagine as the landscape had not changed much
since their time. There are stupas everywhere, mostly old and crumbling, and
the villages are still made up of buildings in the old style: mudbrick and
stucco walls, with rooftop crenellations of dried branches clustered together.
The homes hide in green oasis valleys that have grown rebelliously out of the arid
and rocky lands. And there are still monasteries perched high atop jutting
hills, beckoning devotees to come prostrate and spin mani wheels and incant Om
mani padme hum over the Indus river valley.
Ladakh succumbed to the powers of India a century ago,
but it is still very much its own country. What it must have been like when it
was ruled by Buddhist kings—not an ostentatious monarchy, I imagine. It must
have been a bare and hardened kingdom. The palaces, also placed high on
hillsides, are made of the same mudbricks as the poorest village home and I
imagine that even the royal robes couldn’t escape the omnipresent dust and the
bleaching from that ferocious sun.
The arrival to Leh brought deliverance. To have
completed the six-month odyssey on Himalayan roads (with a brief sojourn onto
flat lands) brought no ecstasy or feelings of euphoria. I only felt safe to
finally rest, to kick my shoes off and stretch out my legs. There was no need
to go anywhere else now, no need to move on.
But, as it turns out, moving on was not simply a
result of an itinerary set out before me. It was a prerogative innate within
me. Before long I’d be up again and on the move.
2 comments:
Beautiful writing, J. Cook.
Thanks, D. Teng.
Post a Comment