We
used to listen to the same music track on repeat — a somnolent hip-hop beat
with dreamlike lyrics. She liked it that way. We’d indulge in every note again
and again, the same way we’d indulge in each other.
Those
summer nights I’d stay late and we’d lie together on the sofa in the small
lounge at the back of her house. We’d start by watching a movie on her TV,
sitting side-by-side, holding hands and leaning against one another. Eventually
the movie would end, or the disc would skip and pause, and the screen would
paint the dark room in its ambient twilight. Then we would hold each other and
we would kiss and caress under blankets.
Her perfume would
work its way into my t-shirt and would linger there long after I left, usually
at two or three in the morning. I would tiptoe across her creaky floorboards so
as not to wake her parents. And I would make the drive home bleary-eyed,
forcing myself to move against that force that always seemed to want to draw me
back to her arms and to the warmth and comfort of that room.
Those memories are
distant now. But I can still feel the dryness of my contact lenses as I drove
home. I have a faint memory of that perfume; the other day I smelled it again
and in this world, a continent and almost two decades away, I found myself back
in that lounge. I would like to also feel that love again, its pins and needles
and sweet exhaustion. But its time has passed, and that is okay.
It’s the taste of
watermelon that has stayed with me. On one of those summer nights, before we
made our way to the sofa in the lounge, we sat and talked together in a kitchen
lit rebelliously against the night — one of those scenes you glimpse while
walking through a neighborhood after sunset, looking in on the lives of other
people, their house dark except for that one room illuminating a moment of
their lives. Perhaps this memory has endured so long because it is one of the
few times I remember belonging on the inside. I was meant to be there with her
in the light of that kitchen. Since then, more often than not I find myself
belonging to the outside, looking in. I did not know then how good I had it.
Truth be told, I was
always intimidated by those rooms. Her father was a doctor and they lived just
a few houses down from the Denver Country Club. I grew up simpler — our family
never poor, but still living under the stresses of making ends meet. The rooms
of her house held a grandeur that I had never known before. The amplitude
threatened me and I felt I always had to be bigger in order to fill the space.
The way I remember
it, it had been one of those particularly hot summer days before that evening
fell. At night I could feel the residual heat pulsing from her driveway as I
walked up to the side door and she let me in. She was wearing one of the
spaghetti-strap tops she would always wear.
I don’t know what we
talked about then in the kitchen. We usually talked about our dreams in life,
who we wanted to become, what we wanted to do. It is funny to write this now
and to know that I exist in the future that those two teenagers could only
imagine.
Her golden retriever
sat happily at my feet. I sat on a barstool against the kitchen island. She
brought out a Tupperware of seedless watermelon that had been cubed and sat
chilling in the refrigerator all day. As we talked, we picked up cubes with our
fingers and let their coolness dissolve in our mouths.
At one point she
leaned over to kiss me and her mouth still held the cold and flavor of the
watermelon. We were both surprised by the pleasure of it. Then we ate the
watermelon piece by piece and kissed each other after every one, relishing each
sensation of warm lips and cold breath and the taste of watermelon.
Those are some of the
sweetest kisses I’ve ever had. They are the most vivid in my memory. I’ve never
tried to replicate them because they belong to those two dreamers, then. Those
two young lovers kissing in a lit kitchen, on a summer’s night, as the heat
dissipates on the sidewalk. “The busy street is empty, whistling winds are blowing gently, listening intently to all of the things they have to say.”

No comments:
Post a Comment