“TREE
Primary fence next to the dandelion More
than
ten miles a taste of the sceneryFog grass came the voice of her How many years
have begun to sound good Sent a letter to wish a
paper airplane Because we can not wait for the meteor”
“Bird is wet, and me too. Rain…Rain. It’s
rain every.”
Or t-shirts on mild mannered, polite
Japanese climbers, with the phrase “We are fuckin’ one” written across the
back.
When I open the notebook my friend gave to
me, however, there is language much more incomprehensible and enigmatic than
anything else I’ve come across—my study notes in an attempt to learn Japanese.
The first ten pages or so are dedicated to
vocabulary, broken down into verbs, adjectives, and then everything else.
Whereas the verb and adjective sections are relatively organized, the
“everything else” is a hodgepodge of nouns, adverbs, prepositions,
conjunctions, common expressions, pronouns, exclamations, onomatopoeia and cool
sayings that I find interesting. I use that section to quickly jot down things
that I hear or read and want to make sure that I commit to memory later. At my
low level of Japanese just about everything I hear or read goes into that
section, flooding the pages to the point that I can’t study fast enough to be
able to memorize all of it. When I do get a chance to make flash cards and quiz
myself I am faced with another problem: all the words sound the same.
Okay, clearly this is a hyperbole. Of
course all the words don’t sound the
same. But there are similarities between sounds of words that make them very
hard to keep organized. It’s a problem to the point that I have dedicated a
whole page of my notebook to “tricky words”. There you can find examples like:
okita- woke up
okutta- sentokotta- got angry
okureta- was late
Such similar words make me hesitant to
speak in the past tense lest I say something like, “I woke up with George”
instead of “I got angry at George.” If I
mistake the word hantai for hentai, for example, rather than saying
“I disagree”, I would be calling the person a pervert.
Some words are, in fact, exactly the same. Katta can mean both ‘bought’, and ‘won’.
Itta can mean ‘said’, and ‘went’. And
the word kaeru means ‘go home’, ‘to
change’, and ‘frog’. There are no spelling or pronunciation variations to
create different meanings, you use the same exact word. If I said, “Kaeru wa kaeru toki nanka o kaeru” it
would mean “When the frog goes home he changes something.”
No, it isn’t a phrase that I use often, but
it illustrates the fact that when memorizing words I have to make sure I
remember that that one word is the exact same way to say three other things.
And this is just individual words.
When it comes to putting together
sentences, the crux of Japanese becomes much more challenging. The difficulty
is derived from both a very different syntax to English and the number of
exceptions and special rules that arise in different contexts. In my notebook I
have tried to organize these exceptions. But, like with the “everything else”
section, the result is a jumbled mess. Some of the categories include:
- Three different ways to say ‘to give’
- Two ways to say ‘more’- Two ways to say ‘to be’
- Three ways of saying ‘because’
- Three ways of saying ‘and’
- Two ways of saying ‘want’
- Using colors as adjectives
- Saying something looks like something else versus saying something is similar to something else
- Three ways of forming ‘if’ sentences
- Conjugating for potential, volitional, and conditional tenses
- Saying something is about something
- Saying something is intended for someone, versus for their benefit
- Using one word to say both ‘I already decided’, ‘I decided right now’, and ‘I’m thinking’
- Three different verbs for playing instruments
- Three ways of saying ‘only’
- Multiple ways of saying ‘it’s scheduled for’ versus ‘it’s planned for’
- Hoping for an outcome for someone else
- Hoping for an outcome for yourself
It goes on.
When I say two or three ways to say
something I’m not referring to synonyms. In English we have lots of ways to say
things, like sad, morose, melancholy, depressed, etc. Synonyms I can understand. With synonyms, at least I can opt to just learn one word, usually the easiest one. No, the similarities that I am highlighting
are the basic ways to say simple words. The easiest way to say something that I would expect to be simple, like 'and', changes according to
context. The word ‘and’ can be soshite,
-kute, or –de, depending on what you are saying. The different words are not interchangeable
and have to be used in the right way given the sentence structure.
All of the above examples in my list have special ways of saying the intended phrase that does not correspond with any rule other than the ‘this is just the way you say it’ rule. They have to be memorized in order to use the language. Though some of the phrases may seem obscure, and maybe possible to avoid learning, like ‘I already decided’ versus ‘I decided right now’, most are things that you use in almost everything you say, like ‘because’,‘more’, and 'and'.
All of the above examples in my list have special ways of saying the intended phrase that does not correspond with any rule other than the ‘this is just the way you say it’ rule. They have to be memorized in order to use the language. Though some of the phrases may seem obscure, and maybe possible to avoid learning, like ‘I already decided’ versus ‘I decided right now’, most are things that you use in almost everything you say, like ‘because’,‘more’, and 'and'.
My notebook, which started as an attempt to
help me keep track of my learning and progress in my language ability, has left
me befuddled. If I’m trying to talk to someone and a verb conjugation comes up
that I know I covered, it takes me about a minute to pour through all of my
notes in order to find the precise one that applies to that context. It takes
me about another thirty seconds to add it to a comprehensible sentence. And in
most cases, I still have to look up new words in order to make what I’m saying
sound complete.
That’s where I am in my Japanese right now.
I have an idea about what I’m supposed to say, but know that I am most likely
making grievous errors. I can piece simple sentences together, but I am sure
that I sound like Tarzan. I know maybe a few hundred vocabulary words, but the
average fluent speaker uses a few thousand. I can plan climbing trips with
Japanese friends, order food at a restaurant (if I can read the menu), and make small talk with strangers. That’s
about it.
What I can’t do: I couldn’t even begin to
write good enough sentences for t-shirts or Kleenex boxes, nor get even close
to writing a Japanese poem worthy of a Chinese notebook.
3 comments:
I are a college-educated American, and the path you are on sounds daunting indeed. Very good description of it for those of us yet well within our comfort zones and still befuddled about understanding real meanings, even when we can string together sentences and paragraphs.
Well said. I haven't delved into the structure as much as you have. I'm still learning but at times it seems too daunting. I often op for a book or movie instead of my lessons. I am also being instructed by on of my principals out of a 1st grader textbook. It has helped a lot. However, so much is thrown at me I often have a terrible time retaining it. Moreover, when I'm taught the correct pronunciation of a word, I later hear a very different version of how it's said. I plan on continuing my studies for the foreseeable future....
Post a Comment