There are other things that I am counting
too:
Three more days of working at the chuugakko, where I am called assistant teacher
and I am treated as such. M. Sensei has me sit at a desk in the classroom while
she gives a lesson—something like a rote memorization worksheet verbalized. In
my head, memories play of my Peruvian students who I cooked meals with and
built low ropes courses with and who improved their English considerably by the
year’s end. M. Sensei’s teaching is terrible. It’s arrogant of me to believe
that I could teach the students better, so I tried to quell those thoughts when
I first arrived, in respect of this foreign culture.
While M. Sensei drills vocabulary and makes
the students fill out the same worksheet four times in a row, she talks to the
students about me. My Japanese has improved. Now I understand.
“Joshua-Sensei isn’t a real teacher. He’s
an assistant teacher.”
“Joshua-Sensei can’t explain this grammar
to you.”
“Joshua-Sensei can’t teach these lessons;
He doesn’t understand Japanese.”
Such comments are accompanied by laughs and
giggles. Had the students been mine, their English would be much better by now.
Three more days of being M. Sensei’s assistant.
Eleven days left of being an employee for a
corporation. There are emails regarding moving out and final salaries. Your last paycheck will be subject to
decreases in order to pay expenses after you leave. Return all supplies to the
company. You cannot leave before submitting all the necessary paperwork.
Six days of school lunches—bland salads, miso soup so sour that it’ll put hair on
your chest, milk as thick as direct from the cow’s tit.
I have two weeks left in Japan. I can’t
help but count down.
On my drive to work, there is an old,
fading poster that hangs on the side of a crumbling barn. It’s from the
inauguration of the prefectural airport, which must have happened before I was
born. The poster shows the airport in the background, as an after-thought,
faded down from weathering. The woman in the foreground is the focus—a slender
Japanese woman, traditionally dressed in a kimono
that has had its color bleached from the sunlight. Her gaze is steady, her
smile coquettish. She has a proud, long neck, and docile, balanced shoulders. She
looks out at me as I’m lifted through the rice paddy laden countryside, to
another day in classrooms filled with Japanese children. “Here you are,” she
whispers. “You made it.”
Two more weeks of that drive.
In the climbing gym, Tomi-san, the owner,
sits next to me on a giant crashpad. In Japanese, he asks, “You didn’t go to Dainichi Iwa on Saturday? I went there
in the afternoon and you weren’t there.”
“No,” I say. “I was busy on Saturday. A
friend came from Tokyo. We ate dinner. We went to Inawashiro lake.”
“Oh really? I went to Dainichi all by myself and no one was there. The weather was great,
but no one was out climbing. Funny, huh? Today the weather was terrible, but
still Kawamura-kun and his friends
went out there.”
“It is cold,” I say. “Kawamura-kun tries his best. He is training for Half Dome. Half Dome
is hard. Training is good. He should try his best.”
Tomi-san’s Japanese is still hard for me to
understand, but he does not slow down for me or talk to me like I am a child.
When I arrived in Japan almost two years ago and went to the climbing gym, all
I could do was gesture that I wanted to climb, and he showed me the routes with
the colored tape. “Yellow,” he said in English. “Very easy. Black: Very Hard.”
Despite the wall of language, he invited me
to go climbing with him for two days, just a month after I had first met him.
Now, able to convey most of my thoughts, I wonder how to culturally approach
saying, “Thank you for that climbing trip Tomi-San. I needed friends then, and
you were the first. That made Japan good and now it makes Japan hard to leave.
Thank you.”
The climbers threw a going away party for
me. I man who I have talked with infrequently and whose name I do not know, approached
me and handed me a brand new piece of climbing equipment. “Here,” he said. “I
hope you can use this in America. Are there good places for you to climb
outside in Colorado?”
I bowed and said, “Hai. Arimasu. Zettai tskaimasu yo. Honto ni arigatou gozaimashita.”
He looked at me, smiled and said, “You will
be missed.”
My friend Kondou-San handed me the copy of
the Ishikawa Bouldering guide book that I had made for him and the others, and
asked me to write him a message on the back.
“Kondou-San, I can’t write in kanji,” I explained. “And you can’t read
English.”
“That’s okay,” he responded. “I just want a
message from you.”
My first month at the climbing gym, there
was a barbecue and a climbing competition. As we ate together people asked me
questions that I didn’t understand. I sat quietly and tried to learn the
language quickly. Now with two weeks left, at the going away party I could
speak with my friends and make jokes and understand. Strangely, there is little
sense of accomplishment. Rather, I feel tired and still very far away from a
goal that I have not defined. And when I count the two weeks that are left, I
know that I will not reach that goal.
There are only two weeks left with Eriko. I
could write a novel on the goodness of Eriko. On conversations in the loft
above my kitchen, or during long drives on our dates together. I could write
about the softness of her hands, the sweet kisses she gives me on the cheek for
no reason, that long embrace before leaving one another for how long. I could
write of sitting in hot springs together, and eating nabe in her apartment, and of massages in the evenings. She
sometimes feigns anger and raises her voice at me, and I start to laugh and she
giggles as I wrestle her down to the futon. I could write about the slight
feeling of helplessness when we don’t quite understand each other, about the
patience she has with my Japanese, about the language spoken with each other
that has no words in English or otherwise. There is too much good to that woman
and writing it all would cripple me. It’s easier to not write it, to leave it to
memory and to question. That way I do not have to believe it—that such a good
person can exist, and that we once shared time together in that life I had in
Japan. Two weeks is not enough time left with Eriko. But I bought that ticket
home.
In two weeks I will say goodbye. I will
board a plane. I will sleep poorly and watch movies on a screen in front of me.
I will see the Pacific. I will land in L.A. and then take off again. And very
soon I will see those Rocky Mountains, and my mother and father, and I will sit
down with friends over dinner. And they will ask me about the good things in
Japan, and I will have many stories to tell. For there were many more good
things than bad, and in the end, those good memories will be the ones that stay
with me.
3 comments:
We see you here Josh, through the porthole you make for us in this blog. We see how you courageously expand the boundaries of pain and joy in your quest for adventure. You make the world larger in your giving and receiving, your search for understanding and experience.
Come back then, re-load and breathe deep the renewed context of this place you once knew as home and will settle in again with new eyes, new memories. Help us to see with these new eyes. I am grateful for this sharing you have made with me, with us.
If I were a prime minister, I would require all the elementary schools to have English-native teachers enough for all the grades. This way Japan could avert an unfortunate future being sort of a galapagos island, isolated in the globalized world. Anyway, conglatulations on finishing your assignment!
Hey Josh, que pasa!
Hope we see in the future, here in Spain or in your Rocky Mountains if I´m able to go to the US.
Un abrazo.
Post a Comment