An interesting thing happened the other day. My class XI
students and I were reading “The Accursed House,” a 19th century French
satire by Emile Gaboriau. The story is about a nobleman who inherits an
apartment building from his recently deceased, miserly uncle. When he learns
that the uncle had been charging a high rental rate, the nobleman, out of pure
altruism, decides that he will lower the rate by one-third. When his decision
is announced, the tenants begin to wonder why the nobleman made such a drastic
change in the rent. They think that there is something wrong with the
apartment, conjecturing that it must be poorly built, or that soon the nobleman
will burn it down in order to collect the insurance money. Conspiracies build
and the tenants accuse the nobleman of being a criminal, running a
counterfeiting operation in the basement, harboring Prussian spies. They
distrust his altruism so much that they begin hearing haunting noises in the
building and seeing ghosts. In the end, because the nobleman lowered his
tenants’ rent, every one of them fled the building, leaving it forever empty
and “accursed.”
When I asked my students to identify what the author was
satirizing, I was disappointed with their responses. It seemed like they had an
inability to discern the obvious. They guessed that perhaps the satire was
about being superstitious, or that sometimes buildings are poorly constructed.
The best guess—asking if the satire was about the contagiousness of rumors—still
seemed like they missed the point entirely. Again I analyzed my pedagogy. Did I
fail at explaining the difficult vocabulary or the general plot? Did they
misunderstand the whole story, or just a critical part?
I pointed out the central satire for them. “Humans distrust
generosity,” I explained. “If someone gives us a gift for no reason, our
tendency is to question the person’s motives.”
The students diligently wrote down my explanation. But when
they looked up, still, I could sense that they didn’t understand.
Frustrated, I explained, “Think about it. If someone just
gives you a gift for no reason, you think that they have ulterior motives,
right?” And as soon as the words slipped from my mouth, I thought about these
past seven months in Bhutan. Not a week goes by without my neighbor knocking on my
door and offering me fresh chilies or radishes or onions from his garden. My students
come with candies and give them to me and the other teachers just because they
have extras. Colleagues will drop off pickled foods at my door and when I visit
people’s homes they offer me tea and beer and dinner, and I often leave with a
bag filled with fruits and vegetables. And when there is no physical gift to
give, still people will freely offer up compliments: Looking smart today, sir.
Sir is as tall as a prayer flag. Sir, you have a very cool walk.
It clicked. Once again the day’s lesson was much more
profound for me than it was for the students. I remembered how I joke with them
when they give me such compliments. “Thanks, Tashi,” I say. “You get ten extra
points today,” suggesting that he must have wanted something from me; why else
would he give me a random compliment? I use that joke all the time. I think
it’s hilarious.
“Maybe we should fix your notes, actually.” I attempted to
correct my error, writing on the board: “Westerners distrust generosity.”
When they finished amending their notes, they all looked up
at me. Still, the idea seemed difficult for them to understand. They appeared
to be analyzing my very being for the explanation; I am the only westerner that most of them know. I wondered if they now questioned any kind gesture that I had
done for them, any moment when I was generous. But then I asked myself if,
aside from teaching, I’ve done anything generous for them for no reason at all. Have I given them gifts? Offered them food? Paid them compliments?
No. I don’t think I have.
*Note: As I was
writing the first draft of this, another teacher came over and offered me a huge
slice of cucumber.
4 comments:
Wow - I love reading this and the moral of the story. It's fascinating how different our cultures are, and sometimes the people who have the least to give always end up giving the most. Beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing!
I was wondering how it was going over there, cool to read about a slice of it, that's a great story. It's easy to confuse appreciation with reciprocation I think.
You could have given them Peeps...but decided against it. :-) Another insightful story, thanks!
But... what about the gift of hiphop moves? I think that counts for something!
Post a Comment