Blessed Rainy Day marks the end of the monsoon season,
a season that, along with plenty of rain, brought the crux of this experience
thus far. As expected, it was hot and humid. The jungle that surrounds the
campus teemed with life while the Boys’ Sick Room became fusty and suffocating.
The walls sprouted patches of grey and black mold that grew like living
Rorschach blots. And as the heat penetrated the room, new, green molds, like
tiny, round lawns, emerged on tabletops, came alive on my comforter, and lo and
behold, had even found their way into my winter sweaters long forgotten. The
air was infected with disease, punctuated by the incessant buzz of mosquitos
and the ghost bites of fleas.
Three dogs held temporary vigil over the monsoon
season as ghoulish mascots. Each had been wounded in fights, presumably because
monsoon season is also mating season. Two of the dogs were torn open on the
head, one on the scruff. One had his ear almost completely torn off, with
nothing but a thread of tattered flesh remaining. The monsoon miasma would not
let the wounds heal. Instead, they became infected and grew. The dogs would
meander into classrooms nonchalantly and the students would recoil in disgust at
the sight of the wounds’ raw purulence. Students with strong stomachs would
shew the dogs out but their wounds left drip stains of pus and blood on the
floor. The odor stayed long after the dogs were gone.
Each dog also developed a tick, constantly shaking
their heads to rid themselves of the flies that dropped into their festering
wounds and chewed at the rotten bits. Maggots soon followed, burrowing deeper
and deeper until they reached nerves and spinal cord and brain. One dog was
found dead in a pool of still water next to the football goal. Another lay dying
aside the assembly ground as the students filed into their classrooms for
evening study. They offered the suffering beast a healthy portion of fried
rice, but the maggots had already taken over and stolen the dog’s appetite,
leaving only enough energy for him to limp out into the jungle where he is
presumed to now be rotting. The third dog I have not seen for some time. I
assume that he is in the same condition as the aforementioned.
The leeches, snakes, spiders, and scorpions are out
too. I pulled three leeches off of myself after a foray into the jungle. One
wound leaked blood for the next half an hour. A month later, it’s still
healing. It could be worse though. The mosquitos in the south carry malaria.
Two teachers from the area told me that as children they contracted the disease
frequently in the monsoon season.
“I had malaria six times,” one said.
“I had it at least a dozen,” said the other.
Yes, this is the country they call the happiest in the world.
I’ve had some surreal experiences lately as well.
Happiness? Perhaps. More like out-of-body experiences. Last month I found
myself in a mountaintop temple, watching a holy Rinpoche lead a group of
devotee monks in prayers that were going on continuously for a week. It was a
tradition that is as old as Mahayana Buddhism itself, one that exists now only
in hidden enclaves of the world such as this. The monks clanged cymbals and
blew long dungchen horns and chanted
in what seemed like a trance. I was overwhelmed by the sound, the vibrations
pouring over me, through me. During the ceremony, in my mind’s eye I rose into
the sky and could pinpoint myself on a globe, envisioning from the clouds just
how lost I was. There I sat, a little point on the far eastern side of Bhutan,
near the disputed lands of China and India, borders blurred by precipitous
mountains and insular peoples. The nearest westerner was probably thirty miles
away as the crow flies and the list of foreigners before me who had observed
that same ceremony is likely less than a dozen. I saw myself sitting among my
Bhutanese friends, dressed traditionally with the ceremonial kabnay sash, receiving blessings from
the Rinpoche as masked dancers chased demons from that temple on the
mountaintop. And as I watched, I thought, “How did I get here?”
It happened another time in my classroom. The students
were silently working on independent writing and after helping a student with
some tricky subject-verb agreement, I stood up and started walking back to the
front of the room. For a brief moment it was as if my soul was extracted out
through the window and into the blanket of monsoon clouds that loomed ominously
above. I saw myself there amongst my Bhutanese students, me again dressed in
the gho, sweating in the heat and
pacing between the desks arranged in groups. Again I questioned it all. “How
did I get here?”
In the ether of this hidden kingdom, among
wind-tattered prayer flags, the chants of monks, blessings from Lamas and
Rinpoches, one can’t help but believe that perhaps it is happier here. It’s a
question that I’ve asked myself constantly, but the answer isn’t so simple.
My western culture has a tendency to advertise
everything for the benefit of the consumer, even though the advertisement may
be very different than the reality. Bhutan’s mystique is a victim of this
tendency. There are those who travel here that need to give their experience a
logo or a slogan; they need to believe in a false ideal in order to give the
travels a worth that their compatriots can understand, something akin to
monetary value. To say, “I spent two-weeks in the happiest country in the
world,” is to suggest that you are happier because of it. I’ll admit, I came
here for the same reasons.
But luckily, happiness is still elusive and difficult
to attain, even in Bhutan. I know now that the honest image of this country
wouldn’t be appealing as an advertisement. Bhutan has happiness, sure. It also
has sadness, fairness and injustice, health and sickness, anger and spite,
moments of euphoria, moments of utter disbelief, it has love and hate. It’s got
it all, the whole range of the human experience, just like every other nation
on Earth. More often than not though, struggle is at the forefront. Not what you'd expect from the happiest country in the world, is it?
To talk of monks and temples and butter lamps and
Buddha is to tickle the erroneous belief that there is an intangible kind of
peace here that is other-worldly. But in truth, many monks join the monasteries
to escape abject poverty or because they have mental disorders that their
families don’t know what to do about. Many temples are erected by immigrant
laborers who live in terrible conditions. The butter lamps are usually filled
with cheap Indian vegetable oil.
If you come to Bhutan and are convinced that the
nation’s happiness is unparalleled, that the people are entirely peaceful and
that everything exists in a harmonious, ancient balance, then you are looking
without seeing. You are speaking the advertisement and not the reality. The
fatally wounded dogs have not walked into your classroom. You haven’t been
bitten by a malaria plagued mosquito.
Though Gross National Happiness is part of Bhutan’s
governmental framework, the manifestations of that goal are as flawed as
America’s ideal of democracy. Everyone here is not a bodhisattva. There is
infidelity, abuse, suicide (on the rise, in fact). The infrastructure is in
poor condition, wrecked by landslides often. In many areas it is hard to get
proper nutrition and healthcare.
But by living here, yes, I have learned something
about happiness.
For me, the experience has been both utterly
fulfilling and completely challenging. My eyes have been opened to the
realities of living in a remote corner of a developing country. Life ain’t easy
in the hinterlands. The lack of resources, good infrastructure, nutritious
foods, and other things I took for granted in America has challenged my health,
my pedagogy, and my sense of self. I have been lonely, bored, and afraid. I’ve therefore been learning about happiness through
juxtaposition. In examining the daily struggles here, the de facto simplicity
of life, the preponderance of illness, disease, and death, I have come to
viscerally understand just how fortunate I am.
The lesson evokes a different kind of
happiness. Though there is much here that is still difficult, I am happy to be
a part of a whole human experience, the good and the bad. I'm happy to be safe, alive, and breathing; happy to be able to afford a plane ticket out here, to be able to have a job that allows me to buy food and keep a roof over my head; happy to be able to move freely throughout the world. By knowing a little
bit more about the suffering of others, I can put my suffering
into perspective; that is, I haven’t suffered. Not really. Never. The grievances of the past seem petty. The lost loves seem as natural as the passing of rain clouds. What I have done is lived a full life, one made good by the moderate fluctuations of very human experiences.
If I can carry these lessons with me in
the future, live always with memories of Bhutan somewhere near the forefront of
my mind, then no matter where I go next, I think yes, I’ll be happy. The challenge will be remembering. I know that when I leave here in January, when I find myself in more comfortable environs, with more privileges at my fingertips, then I will once again be tempted to think that I am suffering. And that forgetfulness, that ignorance, will make me believe that no, I am not happy. Perhaps then I can look back, see myself from those bird's eye views, and remind myself just how easy I have it. Then, maybe, I'll be happy again.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing this post. I am also teaching overseas and I can understand what you mean by learning happiness by default. It is a roller coster of emotions living in a new country. I agree that I can only now fully understand how privileged I totally am due to living without or also from seeing others struggle. I realize how many "things" I take for granted. How lucky I am only for the reason that I was born in a western country. My passport creates my freedom and this is something that so many people take for granted.
Your writing reminds me of an exhibit I saw in Houston by the artist Andrea Zittel. In the exhibit, she examined practices we take for granted like eating and sleeping and had wrote several self-discovered conclusions on the wall of the gallery. One stuck with me and it was, "We are most happy when we are moving forward, towards something we have not yet attained." In other words, we don't necessarily want to achieve all of our goals, but long for the promise of something better.
Post a Comment