Some context: I really don’t know what I’m doing.
The dream of traversing the Himalayas on a motorcycle
hit me suddenly and irrevocably when I had just settled into my life in Bhutan.
I hadn’t been there but two months when euphoric flashes of Nepali peaks,
coupled with nightmarish images of frenetic, dirty Indian cities, began keeping me up
at night. As I began researching the feasibility of such a plan, a few limits
surfaced. But limits are good, encouraging even; they indicate that adventure
is afoot.
Limit One: If I bought a motorcycle in Bhutan, I
wouldn’t be able to take it out of the country. Since my plan would take me
through West Bengal, Sikkim, Nepal, Himachal Pradesh, Ladakh, and Kashmir, I’d
need a bike with Indian plates and registration. In Bhutan, especially in the
remote areas of the east, coming across such a bike was nearly impossible.
Limit Two: I didn’t know how to ride a motorcycle.
Some might argue that this should be considered Limit One in terms of
importance. I beg to differ. If I couldn’t attain a bike, my ability to operate
one would be irrelevant. I have no access to a helicopter either, so does it
matter if I can fly one or not? I was sure that if the perfect bike somehow
became manifest, I could learn to ride it. I was encouraged by the sage wisdom
of a friend of mine who, pondering the idea, told me: “Even stupid people can
ride motorcycles.”
As if a sign from the gods (Hindu or tantric Buddhist,
I know not) the “ideal” bike did exist. In 2014, another foreign teacher
residing in eastern Bhutan traveled to Guwahati, India to buy a 2012, 223cc,
Hero Karizma. There he registered it and got Assamese plates. He used it for a
year to explore the more remote regions of Bhutan. When he left in 2015, he
sold it to another foreign teacher, Holly, living in western Bhutan. She rarely
used it, and it sat at the Bhutan Canada Foundation office collecting dust.
When she sold the bike to me for five hundred dollars, I could hardly believe
my luck. There it was, the perfect bike. And it was all mine.
I picked up the bike in the middle of Bhutan, in the
dusty, alpine town of Bumthang, famous for its rock-hard cheese, its
Swiss-influenced Hefeweissen beer, and the copious amounts of wild marijuana
growing all around town (the locals know it as “pig feed”; the pigs think it’s
great).
A few more limits surfaced upon reception of the bike.
“How do you start it?” I asked Holly.
The looked at me skeptically, brows furled. “Do you
know how to ride?”
“Theoretically,” I replied.
I had
studied several videos online, and had,
in fact, ridden a motorcycle once, five years ago. It was an 800+cc sport bike that a gung-ho, Marine friend of mine had told me to give a shot. The ride
lasted all of an hour, mostly with me shooting down Denver side streets revving
dangerously high in first gear, white-knuckled and unable to release the
throttle because of the instinct to grip down when terrified. I dropped the
bike twice, which I never confessed to the Marine; he kept a handgun on his
coffee table and live grenades on his bookshelf.
After some skeptical tutelage from Holly, I had two
days to learn how to ride on the Bumthang streets before I would take the bike
the two-day journey back to eastern Bhutan. It was monsoon season, so the roads
were slick with rain and the characteristic Bumthang dust turned to a thick
mud. Despite the conditions, Bumthang proved to be a perfect learning ground.
The road had very little traffic and was yet to fall victim to the road
expansion construction that had mangled many parts of the national highway. I
wended through pine forests fecund with moisture, up to prominent fortresses
and hidden monasteries, and after two days I felt that I was ready for the
challenge of a cross-country trip.
Again the gods were in my favor. Over the course of
the two-day journey, it only rained briefly, right as I arrived home. Though I
had to fjord a few rivers, slip through some mud-trenches, dodge cattle, and
pull off several leeches from my legs, the ride was mostly uneventful and I
made it home unscathed. It turned out to be true: Stupid people can ride motorcycles.
I’ve had the bike for six months now. My luck lasted
as long as those initial days. For the next few months my bike sat stationary
due to either a reoccurring flat or awaiting new front brake pads that took
five weeks to arrive from China to the village I was living in in Bhutan.
During those fleeting moments when the bike would work, other problems befell
the poor stallion—a loose chain that popped off repeatedly on the way to Rangshikar,
a tendency to stick in neutral when shifting down to first gear, a bunk battery
that couldn’t hold a charge.
But when the gods offer a gift it’s best to take it,
whatever the condition. There is something to be learned from it. I’ve repaired
the puncture (five times), bought a new tire (to avoid further punctures), and
fixed the front brake. I can kick start the bike when the battery is dead and
once I’m in a place that has new batteries on hand, I’ll gladly replace the old
one. I have enough experience now, I think, to start the journey. I’ve given
the bike the moniker of Solivagant, a word that I’m told means “to wander
alone.” My plans will assuredly give me plenty of time alone, and I have no
real itinerary, no schedule. I will wander these Himalayas and see what comes. My
contract has ended in Bhutan and I have six months to kill before starting work
at an international school somewhere in the world. The first limits are gone,
testament to their nature. If you don’t really believe in them as limits, they
can easily be surmounted. But new ones have surfaced: What will the chaos of
Indian traffic be like, especially for a novice like me? How will I navigate a
road system that lacks consistent signage? How will I carry the things I need
to survive? What will I do when Solivagant becomes cantankerous once again and
breaks down? Is this safe?
And, as is the plague of the wanderer, other
existential questions have started to arise too: What purpose does this
adventure serve? When will I grow up, settle down, commit to something stable? What
is the effect of such long-term loneliness?
So I’ll start the journey hoping for both Solivagant’s
integrity and for answers to these questions. Both hopes are guaranteed to
fail. But there are many chances ahead for a smooth ride, for new discoveries,
and if not for answers, then for many more questions that will be compelling
and worthy. All of this will happen, gods willing.
5 comments:
What an adventure! Your world just keeps expanding. Thank you for continuing to share it with us.
Damnit Josh. If you die Im going to be cantankerous!
I've enjoyed reading your last couple of posts. Thanks so much for sharing your stories! I'm excited to read about how your road trip journey unfolds.
This sounds exciting. If your travels bring you to Hong Kong I'll buy you dinner & beers just to hear more of your stories in person. Good luck with your 6 month plan. I can't wait to hear about chapter #2 it as I am sure it is going to be exciting! Be safe and enjoy the unexpected joys of traveling into the unknown. Keep the stories coming...
Thanks for reading, all.
Siobhan, I'll let you know if I make it to Hong Kong!
Post a Comment