The Bumthang morning was just above freezing but there
was no waiting until it warmed. I had to get to Thimphu in one push and it
could take anywhere from eight to twelve hours, depending on the road.
“How’s the highway from here to Thimphu?”
Of the people questioned, none had actually been on
the road recently. Yet no one was reticent in sharing his opinion.
Opinion one: “Oh, very bad. Worst it’s ever been.”
Opinion two: “Icy. Be careful.”
Opinion three: “Not bad at all. His Majesty came
through last week, so they had to make it better.”
Opinion four: “On a bike? Six hours. No problem.”
My
friend Vishal met me in Bumthang and though he was traveling by bus, he verified whether I was ready for a ride
through mountain weather.
“You’ve got rain pants?”
“No. I never brought any to Bhutan.”
“Why not?”
“I don’t know. Stupid, I guess.”
“But you’ve got a good raincoat?”
“Kind of. I mean, it’ll do.”
He gave me a look of pity. Once upon a time, on our
other adventures in the Andes, I was the expert, recounting how I had been
camping and backpacking in the mountains since I could walk. But now I was
clearly the dilettante and he was the disappointed tutor.
“Don’t freeze to death.”
“Good advice.”
Solivagant was slow to get going. The starter barely
buzzed in the morning dark and cold and I had to abuse the kick-starter until I
could get the engine to idle. I let it warm for nearly ten minutes, the whole
time questioning the bike’s overall integrity. On all the other short trips I’d
taken, something had gone wrong. I was in a state or readiness, expecting the
same now. If Solivagant broke down on the way, I planned to wait for Vishal’s
bus to pass and hitch a ride. But I’d have to sort out how to get back to the
bike and get it working. There was too much to process, and the cold was
already numbing my extremities.
I patted Solivagant. “Just make it to Thimphu, buddy.
Just make it to Thimphu.”
I tolerated the cold as best as I could. I had been
betting on the sun though, thinking it would only be an hour before it rose
above the peaks. I suffered through that first hour of twilight, desperately watching
the horizon for the sun to come out and send rays of warmth into the valley. But
the sun never came. Instead, a blanket of clouds covered the sky in a grey
overcast. Once I started descending into the verdant cliffs near Trongsa, I
entered a thick fog that washed me in beads of dew. My hands became clammy and
began to seize up.
I pulled Solivagant over in a muddy, empty forested
area outside of Trongsa and I crouched next to the warm engine, pressing my
gloved hands to it. The heat helped, but wasn’t immediate enough. The muffler
churned and caterwauled and gave me an idea that proved essential to make it
through the cold passes. I removed my glove and put the open end to the
muffler, filling the glove with the hot exhaust. Instantly, the moisture in the
glove began to evaporate and the glove became hot and dry. When I slipped it
back onto my hand, it was like I had found a hidden sauna there in the
Bhutanese forests, the heat radiated and extended from my hands into my chest.
I did the same to my second glove and within minutes I was ready to go again. I
repeated this process three times before finally reaching the warmer,
low areas on the route.
| A bit of Bumthang during the day. |
Opinion one was the closest to being correct.
The road was not good. But, relative to the whole eastern end of the national
highway, it was not that much worse. Again I rattled down to river gorges and
up minor passes, averaging thirty kilometers per hour, my ass taking the brunt
of the battering.
There were more Indian cargo trucks on that section of
road, a sign that I was getting close to the capital. Getting caught behind the behemoths always meant a face full of black exhaust. After several
encounters I better understood the nature of Indian emissions, explained to me
once from a mountaintop by a southern Bhutanese friend.
“You see those glaciated peaks to the north? That’s
Tibet.”
“Oh, yes. Beautiful.”
“And you see that blanket of pollution to the south?
That’s India.”
Passing the barreling cargo trucks was always a dance
with destruction. I’d try to move into sight of their side mirror, bleating my
minuscule horn like a timid lamb, and rev on by. Most times they would see me
and move as far to the side of the single lane as they could. Sometimes they
wouldn’t see me and I’d have to gun past before being closed in, either against
the cliff, or worse, off the road.
Occasionally they’d see me and would still
close me in, a game to them perhaps, or a demonstration of their power. Truck
drivers and kings aren’t so different. Both have to choose between benevolence
or malevolence. Kings rule kingdoms. Truck drivers rule the roads. On the grand
scale of things, my plebeian self, puttering along on 220ccs of Solivagant, was insignificant.
Passing the belching beasts was made that much riskier
since I also had to avoid the potholes, errant stones, and insidious ruts. My
whole history on a bike had been on those terrible eastern roads and I began to
believe that such an experience was just a fact of riding a motorcycle in the
Himalayas, something I would have to get used to. In the last six months, the
rickety plastic siding on Solivagant had wiggled loose, screws and bolts had
been shaken, thrown to the dust and lost, the center stand was bent and
gnarled, and the shocks had become a very faint suggestion of absorption. But
in Punakha an extraordinary thing happened. After crossing the bridge over the
gaping and blue Puna Tsang, an angel of mercy descended from the overcast skies
and commanded: “He has suffered enough; the road shall be paved.”
Testament both to the horrid condition of the roads
prior and to a year of bachelorhood, transitioning to that freshly finished asphalt,
double-lane road, was almost sexually satisfying. Thirty kilometers per hour
turned to forty, then fifty, sixty! And it was as smooth as the curves on Venus
de Milo. For the first time, riding was enjoyable. Not just enjoyable. It was a slip into another state of being,
a transcendental experience. Later that night in Thimphu I would eat a
succulent mutton curry with butter naan, I would indulge in a full-bodied Red
Panda hefeiweizen, and I would sleep on a sumptuous hotel mattress with sheets
that smelled like sunshine. But nothing felt so decadent and satisfying as that
rise up to Dochu La pass on the newly-paved Punakha road.
| The booming metropolis of Thimphu as seen from the Druk Path trek. |
I made it to Thimphu in ten hours. My fatigue was such
that the shock of suddenly having to navigate traffic and choose from more than
one road is only a dull memory. I sought the Khamsum Inn, found it, turned
Solivagant off and prepared for the aforementioned treats once Vishal arrived.
It wasn’t until much later that night that I realized I had already traversed
one whole country, a small country, but a country nonetheless. Five hundred
kilometers isn’t much – not even a full tank of gas – but the dream was
happening. I just had to get from point A to point B. Something so intimidating
was now simpler.
Perhaps the ultimate point B, Leh, some four thousand
kilometers and six months away, could be reached by that simple of a process
too. The realization was a little disappointing really. It didn’t take any real
courage or skill to make it happen. You just had to move forward, one section
of road at a time. Sometimes the road was rough, sometimes it was smooth. All I had to do was turn the throttle back and move forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment