Lumbini, Nepal
The spirit must be a burning thing. When it is sanctified
and exalts it must vibrate like an empty tea kettle left on a gas flame. That
would explain why my descent from the mountains down to these holy places felt
like I was being pinched by the scruff and carried closer to an open fire; why,
as I rode along the dull, flat asphalt, I became enveloped in a slow oppression
of heat. All of the believers must have been reverberating with such hot
intensity that they filled the atmosphere with it.
Lumbini is therefore best visited in the mornings,
when a cool breeze still lingers from the night. When Gautama Siddhartha was a
child, he must have also found that time of day to be a sweet pleasure. He must
have escaped his life in the palace to explore the villages and paddy fields
when it was still morning and the sun could not take his spirit away. Before he
meditated under Bodhi trees, he must have passed languid days in the shade and
daydreamed, desiring all those things that made him human still.
It is hard not to feel a reverence for the spot where
Buddha was born. Though I am not religious and my spirituality wanes more and
more these days, it did not stop me from feeling a certain power inside of the
birthing stone temple. I stood behind a woman who genuflected to the floor,
held her hands in prayer, and prostrated over and over again, lost in the
rapture of the place. Others touched their prayer beads to a wall of weathered,
golden bricks, believing the mere contact would bring Buddha’s spirit into each
bead.
“Destroy the
ego,” Buddha said.
There are monasteries in Lumbini built in designs from
all around the world. Almost all are palatial, garish. Chinese, Korean, Thai,
German. Gautama Siddhartha left this area to escape the cloistered life of his
royal upbringing. Outside of his palace, just like here and now, he found
poverty and sickness; there are still children begging, people with crippling
disease, elderly gone mad. Buddha found the Middle Way as the way toward
enlightenment, something between this abject poverty and the riches that these monasteries
embody. That journey seems to have been forgotten.
But there is hope. The most Buddha-like thing that I
saw while in Lumbini was a Chinese monk attending to three stray dogs whose
skin had become mangy. He took each dog and tenderly rubbed a medicinal oil on
them as they basked in the sun. He was unaware of the gawking tourists and did
not seem to care about the opulence of the Chinese monastery. His attention was
on these fellow living beings, these reincarnations that may have been past
family members or friends.
From Lumbini I awoke early to make my way further
south still, to India. My goal was to explore another holy place, one that
would be even hotter and drier. In my mind it was infamous; everyone I had
talked to about Varanasi described it in the same way: “It’s the most intense
city I’ve ever been to.”
Varanasi, India
The falling of the sun in the early evening did little
to make the heat abate. It filled the streets like a steaming liquid would,
entering crevasses and nooks, drowning all of us in it. Shop owners sprawled
out in their little stalls, dozing under whirring and clicking fans, their
bric-a-brac going soft, as if melting. Rickshaw drivers pushed against the
simmering heat waves, sweating as they carried corpulent women in saris to
their desired destinations. There were men and women that you could tell had
suffered that heat for a lifetime, who stumbled in the streets and whose eyes
glared with the suggestion that they were driven mad by it.
But the Varanasi heat was not the sole threat. There
was so much more that could drive one mad.
Boiling in the miasma was the fetid stench of feces
and burning refuse. Full-grown, robust Brahma bulls made pit stops down through
the streets and chewed at the trash. The beasts gave off their own scent as
well—the smell of bulls, cows, of goats and mange infested dogs. The air was
swollen with a black mélange of exhaust from the desultory paths chosen by
motorcycles, trucks, and cars. And yet there was a sweetness in the squalor. A
whiff of some redolent incense, the savory elixir of dough frying and chai
being prepared. The veritable potpourri leaves one enticed and appalled, hungry
and at the verge of vomiting.
If only it were just the smells. But there were the
sights and the sounds too, the Everything that was happening in a glance. A sparsely
robed sadhu, dreadlocked and bare chested, peddled past with a monkey clutching
the side of his head. The clang and procession of Hare Krishnas singing, “Hare,
Hare Krishna, Krishna, Hare!” Women in full, black burkas filed into the mosque
at the call of prayer. Men were ironing their shirts out in the street, or
getting a shave, or burrowing into a tangled nest of electrical lines to do
some repair. Some men wore light-cotton shirts and trousers, others only loincloths,
their foreheads streaked with pious and esoteric symbols. There were rakish men
with vitreous eyes who came to me, grabbing me by the arm. I walked fast to
avoid them and the heat hit me harder. Old women, without a drop of moisture in
their baked skin, attended their piles of vegetables spread out onto blankets
on the asphalt. They yelled caustic imprecations at customers asking for a
fairer price. And as if through a miracle, a blind man, unassisted, navigated
the melee all by himself.
Within minutes, I was swept through these streets by
the rush of the Everything. I too felt like I was going to lose it. How can one
live here and keep a semblance of sanity?
And then I was at the Ganges, the Everything having
dropped me there, wanting me to experience more. I knew what awaited. I had
been told by everyone who has come here before me. But I was not prepared.
Not too far distant, I saw the black smoke. The
columns rose separately, spaced out on the shore. It looked industrial, a
feeling that was highlighted by the austere Ghats that towered from
amphitheater-like staircases, high and imposing from the river shore. There was
a crowd watching. Almost none of the people were foreigners, which surprised me
and made me slow my pace. Was I allowed to be where the Everything had taken
me?
The flames from the pyres added more heat to the
relentless day. The jumping embers crackled and railed against the wind. Men
talked casually around the flames, as if it was nothing more than a campfire. I
only saw one person who appeared to be more mourning, but it was difficult to
tell.
The flames did their job well and the body was quickly
blackened. The muslin wrap was now burning away, confessing its secret. Here
was a head. Here a cheek. Here was an arm. A hand, raised. Fingers opened as if
in farewell. In time the flames burn it all down. I wondered, was I watching a
man or a woman? Was he young or old? Was she loved? Did she have a family? Was
he a good person? What were his sins? Did he hurt others, or bring joy into
their lives?
I pinched at the flesh of my forearm, feeling guilty
for having muscle and skin and strength, for being witness to this other being
as he becomes ash, for being able to think still and ponder and be shocked. I know
that one day it will be me and it will also be those close to me and even those
I have hated. If not cremated on the banks of the Ganges, then thrown to the
wind somewhere, or buried or lost, and in time forgotten.
My grasps at sanity now raised one clear thought: This moment is important. It was a
thought that saved me somehow. It lifted the guilt and the sadness. It was
followed by another thought: What have I
done with my life?
And the Everything winked and smiled at me.
I felt alright again, standing there on the banks of
the Ganges. Varanasi had given me something important.
1 comment:
My favorite entry thus far. Profound and touching. And I'm sure my experience of reading this passage doesn't come close to your experience of witnessing it all first hand. Wow.
Post a Comment