Again, I fell victim to the all-too-easy profligacy that
comes with an abundance of foamy-topped Americanos and a general, insidious
craving for western food. A year in the hinterlands will do that to you. It was
not a time for me to prove cultural adeptness; the opportunities for escape
into the tourist trap were too many. I failed at being a traveler who slips
into culture easily and adapts to the Nepali lifestyle. In truth, in Pokhara I wasn’t
even good at being a tourist.
When I first I arrived, I drove straight to the
fringes of the city, along the shores of Fewa lake and back onto bad dirt
roads. On a tip from hippies in Kathmandu, I thought I could get luxury
accommodation cheap in that part of town. I pulled into the first gaudy lodging
I could find and asked the price.
“Six thousand rupees a night,” a soft-smiling Briton
told me.
I attempted a composed response. “Oh. I was looking
more for six hundred.”
“You’ll have to go down the road.”
“Three thousand,” they quoted at the next place.
It wasn’t going well. I found one hovel with a man
sitting outside who glowered as I asked the price.
“Seven hundred.”
“I’ll take it,” I said right off the bat, not seeing
the room first. I wanted to convince him that I could handle anything.
He opened the door to what could easily be mistaken as
a cell for solitary confinement. Once the cockroaches scattered under the
five-foot long bed, I could see that I had been taken in. He should have been
paying me to stay there.
That night I went back into the main part of the
tourist strip, found a room for five hundred rupees a night that was large,
comfortable, had hot water and only one cockroach that I could see. I moved
there the next morning.
The scene of foreigners in Pokhara was its own amusing
experience, worth a good long sit in a café just to observe the interactions. This
is what I did for most of the time, the few days that I stayed in the city. One
such interaction stood out as a favorite:
The
Reiki Master and the Christian Missionary
“We’re here on a mission,” she said.
Blonde. Slightly less than puritanical dress, low cut at
the chest, sleeveless. She looked to be barely twenty.
“A mission to do what?”
“To spread the word of Jesus Christ.”
He looked himself a bit like a pre-Crucifixion Jesus
Christ. Straight brown hair almost to the shoulder. Full beard. About the same
age as the girl. He smiled at her often and stood close.
“Do you believe in Jesus?”
“No. I’m a Reiki master.”
“Oh wow. A reggae master. That’s cool.”
“No, a Reiki
master. Do you know what that is?”
“Sorry, no.”
“I heal people through energy.”
“Oh. Okay.”
“What? You don’t believe me?”
“I only believe Jesus has the power to heal others. If
you believe in him though, he can transfer that power through someone else.
I’ve also done healings.”
“Really? How does that work?”
“Well. It’s hard to explain. What if I show you? Do
you mind if I touch your shoulder?” She looked down at the floor and the closed
here eyes.
“Dear Lord Jesus. I’m asking You to bless this man and
bless his heart and heal him so that he may see the Divine Light. I’m asking
that You pour Your grace unto him so that he may be healed and enjoy the fruits
of Your blessed Kingdom. Thank you Jesus for heeding my prayers and we will
honor You now and forever. Amen.”
She removed her hand from his shoulder and looked at
him. He averted his eyes.
“If you believe in Him, you will be healed. We’ve all
been witness to it.”
She glanced toward three other girls sitting behind
her. One looked dissatisfied, another ignored the conversation and continued to
draw in her sketchbook.
“We’ve all experienced the love of Jesus.”
“Well. Yeah. Thanks,” he said, now less enthusiastic
than he was at the beginning. “I guess it won’t work if I don’t believe in it
though, huh?”
“Well, we’ll just have to see.”
“Right.” He put his hands in his pockets. “I guess
I’ll get going now.”
Perky, she twisted around in a bound and faced her
friends, a resplendent smile across her face. The girls continued about their
business and the Reiki master left the café, slumping his shoulders, looking a
little less powerful.
No comments:
Post a Comment